There are many meetings and contests where one can meet fellow knife- and axe-throwers. Throwzini
has an overview of the meetings in the United States, while we
cover Europe primarily. (If you know of any meeting, please send us an email.)
The largest event in Europe has so far always been the Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship
For many competitions, the standard European Knife and Axe Throwing Rules
Do have a look at the pictures in our reports
on past meetings.
If you are interested in "throwing" a meeting in your country, or are just curious, join the Eurothrowers
The European Throwing Club "Flying Blades" (Eurothrowers)
is of course another very important source. Among other things, they published a best-practice handbook on how to organise throwing competitions
- March to June 2018, Open Italian Knife and Axe Throwing Tournament, three locations, Italy
Five Italian throwing clubs (Giusto Verso, Compagnia del Coltello, Roosters, Salento Throwers, I Lupi) have grouped together to hold an open Italian tournament, taking place at different locations throughout the year (event schedule). International guests are very much invited, and of course there is a common ranking for all participants. (Only in the concluding national championship, there will also be produced a ranking for Italians only based on the common ranking.)
More detailed information: See the facebook pages of the Compagnia del Coltello and the Federazione Italiana Lancio Sportivo, or contact Mauro Magnanini.
- 24th to 25th of March 2018, Trofeo Roosters Compagnia del Coltello (indoors), Campogalliano
- 14th to 15th of April 2018, Trofeo Anxur Salento Throwers, Terracina
- 12th to 13th of May 2018, Trofeo di Milano I Lupi, Pero (near Milano)
- 23th to 24th of June 2018, Italian Championship, Campogalliano
- March to July 2018, French League of Knife Throwers and Axe Throwers, France
The ligue holds inter-club events in Brittany, Normandy and Alsace. The competitions are open to any thrower who shows up. Event calendar
- April to June 2018, Competitions of the Schweizer Werfervereinigung, Switzerland
More meetings of the Swiss throwing association will be published here.
- 7th of April 2018, Spring Competition, Hölstein
- 2nd of June 2018, Engadin Masters, Celerina
- 8th of September 2018, Swiss Championship, Hölstein
- 28th of April 2018, KATTA UK Double Bit Axe Tournament, Huthwaite, Great Britain
An event especially for double bladed axes! Organised by KATTA UK, it will be held in Huthwaite where also the 2015 EuroThrowers World Championship took place.
Contact John Taylor for more information.
- 11th to 13th of May 2018, Rigac Cup, Alsómocsolád, Hungary
The third Hungarian Knife Throwers Meeting and national Championship is organised by EuroThrowers-member János Kohl. International guests are very much invited, and will be ranked together with the Hungarian participants. The competitions are held according to European standard rules.
Janos speaks English, and is happy to help you with any questions.
Full Details in English (including on travel and cheap accommodation)
- 19th of May 2018, Slovakian Championship in Knife and Axe Throwing, Banská Bystrica, Slovakia
The second national championship of Slovakia will take place in Fort Geronimo (see map).
- 22th to 24th of June 2018, KATTA UK National Tournament, Huthwaite, Great Britain
The central knife throwing gathering for Great Britain, organised by KATTA UK, will be held in Huthwaite at Dan Mosleys beautiful place, where also the 2015 EuroThrowers World Championship took place.
European Standard Rules will be employed; The scores of non-UK residents do not qualify to be entered in the UK records, but will receive special prizes. Contact John Taylor for more information.
- 7th to 8th of July 2018, Open Russian Competition in Knife and Axe Throwing, Ryazan, Russia
Participants from the rest of Europe are especially invited to join this event. It will take place in the Lokomotiv Statium, and European Standard Rules will be applied.
Contact Mikhail Sedyshev for further information.
- 14th to 15th of July 2018, Irish Axe Throwing Open, Wicklow, Ireland
The double bladed axe throwing competition, run by Axe Throwing Ireland, takes place in Wicklow, one hour south of Dublin.
- 1st to 4th of August 2018, World Championship / 18th Big Throwers Meeting, Rymarov, Czech Republic
The biggest European knife and axe throwing event each year. Do not miss!
- 3rd to 5th of August 2018, Swedish Championship in Double Axe Throwing, Hälleförs, Sweden
- 7th to 9th September 2018, "Silver Knife" Knife Throwing Competition, Moscow, Russia
For this established competition, more than 100 knife throwers from Russia and beyond are expected.
Throwing distances for men are 5m, 7m and 9m, for women 3m, 5m and 7m. Special rectangular targets, the rules (in Russian only) are close to EuroThrowers standard rules. Since it is not allowed to bring knives to Russia, the simplest solution is to buy or borrow some once getting there.
For more information, registration and accommodation please contact (in English or Russian) Igor Lukash at email@example.com. Please plan ahead, as getting a tourist visa for Russia will involve some waiting.
- There are several more knife thrower meetings in the Czech Republic this year. For many of them, the rules and details are available in English! Some events are 21st of April 2018, the Spring Price of the W-Club, in the Western Town "Stonetown" (halfway between Praha and Brno),
and 15th of September 2018, the Czech Championship in Knife and Axe Throwing in Suchdol (near Ostrava).
- Country-specific lists:
Italy: Associazione Lanciatori Sportivi Italia, Scuola Italiana Lancio Coltelli ed Asce (several local chapters)
Switzerland: Schweizer Werfer Vereinigung
Czech Republic: Clubs Naja and W-Club
Russia: Comprehensive list by Ivan Dolgikh at Metatel.su (2018 in English); also at Iron Century club
England: The KATTA UK offers regular Knife Club throwing days.
- Please contact us if you want to organise an event yourself.
- Subscribe to our newsletter to keep up to date.
To promote the exchange between axe- and knife throwers, in 2001 the European Throwing Club Flying Blades (Eurothrowers) started the "Big Throwers Meeting / World and European Championship". This event has since been established as the both the central annual competition and relaxed and friendly meetup for throwers from all over Europe and the world, and is assigned to a different country each year.
If you are interested in organising the event in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.
In September 2008, representatives from 4 European countries negotiated a common set of competition rules. After a revision in 2010, those are used in most international European competitions:
Standard European Knife and Axe throwing rules
There are 5-10 meetings each year in Europe. For only a handful of them we have reports/pictures collected here.
- 17th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Knife Throwing and Axe Throwing in Alsómocsolád/Hungary (September 2017)
- 16th Big Throwers Meeting / World Championship in Knife Throwing and Axe Throwing in Maniago/Italy (July 2016)
- 1st Rigac Cup in Alsómocsolád, Hungary (September 2015) - Reports and photos by the organiser and by Russian and Czech participants
- 15th Big Throwers Meeting / World Championship in Knife Throwing and Axe Throwing in Huthwaite, England (August 2015)
- 14th Big Throwers Meeting / World Championship in Knife Throwing and Axe Throwing in Callac, France (August 2014)
- 13th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Nivnice, Czech Republic (September 2013)
- 1st Swiss Knife Throwing Meeting, Hölstein, Switzerland (September 2013)
- 12th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Forni Avoltri, Italy (September 2012)
- Sixth Martial Arts East-West Open, Saint Petersburg, Russia (April 2012)
- 11th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Herrischried, Germany (September 2011)
- Fifth Martial Arts East-West Open, Saint Petersburg, Russia (April 2011)
- 10th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Rome, Italy (September 2010)
- Silver Knife Competition, Moscow, Russia (June 2010)
- Thrower Meetings in Russia, Summary 2009
- Ninth Big European Throwers Meeting, in Villeflambeau, France (September 2009)
- First May Throwers Meeting, Kacice, Czech Republic (May 2009)
- Eighth Big European Throwers Meeting, in Chomutov, Czech Republic (September 2008)
- First Ranch throwers meeting in St. Roman, Austria (July 2008)
- First French Knife Throwing Championship near Marseilles, France (June 2008)
- Eighth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2008)
- Thrower meeting with 100 participants, Moscow, May 2008
- Seventh Big European Thrower Meeting, Erlangen, Germany (September 2007)
- Third Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (August 2007)
- Thrower meeting (many events) in Kladno, Czech Republic (May 2007)
- First Big Throwers Meeting in Grenoble, France (September 2006)
- Sixth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2006)
- Second Big Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (October 2005)
- Fifth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2005)
- First Thrower Meeting near Marseilles, France (April 2005)
- First Big Thrower Meeting near Bayonne, France (October 2004)
- First Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (June 2004)
- Fourth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2004)
- Third Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (August 2003)
- Third Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2003)
- Second Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (August/September 2002)
- Second Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2002)
- First Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (September 2001)
- First Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2001)
- Knife and Axe Throwing kick off meeting in Kinsau, Germany (June 2001)
- For the early years starting in 2001, find more reports and pictures on our German site